Thursday 8 February 2018

Major Project | Glass Sculpting Techniques | Hot Glass


When it comes to the technique of hot glass sculpting the 3D techniques I can use to replicate this in Maya are slightly more simple than that of glass blowing. By applying an Ncloth to the model I can achieve the physicality of melting glass and by using various twist and bend deformations I can replicate the act of sculpting. With the correct Ncloth values I can give the model a presence much like the one shown in the image below...


Once this physicality is achieved the act of sculpting will be animated using a number of deformers much like the image below...


The usage of these two techniques is allowing me to sculpt objects in the same manner than sculptors would use on a physical piece, something that is extremely important to the work I'm creating.

The next technique I'm going to focus on is known as cold glass sculpting and revolves around grinding, something I plan on simulating with a variation of particle dynamics.


2 comments:

  1. saw this, thought of you :)

    https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/253137697

    ReplyDelete