Tuesday 3 October 2017

Minor Project | Experiment set 0.2 | Sphere, Cube, Cylinder & Cone


The next set of experiments I'm carrying out will focus on another area of the deform tool, the twist function. For this set of experiments I've increased the start and end angles by 50 per model, along with an increase of 50 per model for the low bound, the models have also been limited to a base primitive shape, those shapes being the sphere, cube, cylinder and cone once again...

In this final sheet which focusses on the cone primitive, the only difference is that as of .16 the model has been rotated by 90 degrees in the x axis to encourage some more varied results. I also believe that this sheet offers the most detailed 'broken' moments of Maya, meaning that rotating a model at some point within an experiment set may be something to keep in mind for future tests.

In comparison to the bend tool, the twist function offered very different results, it became clear very early on that the utility wouldn't create drastic changes but could have a big impact upon a model if a different deformer had already been applied, leading me to thinking slightly further into the future and the possibilities of blending tools.

In terms of results overall, I think this experiment set has created some moments that really depict what this project is trying address when it comes to the notion of the 'broken side' of Maya and the sculptures it can naturally create if left, to some degree, to its own devices. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh dear! You appear to be 'enjoying' Maya now! Stop this project at once! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course, when I look at these sequential tests, I can't help but think that somewhere along the line, you're project is going to interface with the potentiality of animation, change and moving image. I've just got a few videos that made me think about your project:

    https://vimeo.com/100576137
    https://vimeo.com/38454587
    https://vimeo.com/153232101
    https://vimeo.com/onnosmits/gblr
    https://vimeo.com/159515952

    What all of these share is really strong association with sound (and I loved the spoken word example here too). I'm wondering if... now stay with me here... if you could find a way to make music from your various broken vessels - or sounds at least? Dee used something similar when she used sound to create deformations in her human figure - can you do it the other way I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Phil, as I'm getting through the different tests or essential thumbnails of this project I am also thinking about what these structures could potentially turn into when they reach the later stages of their lifecycle. I really like the idea of somehow creating sound from them, maybe by doing something along the lines of taking different pitches from the physical outline of the object's silhouette?

    ReplyDelete